Why Study Architecture?
Architecture word is derived from Latin word "architectura". It means both the process and product of planning, designing and construction.
Architectural works, in the material form of buildings, are perceived as cultural - political symbols and as works of art. Historical civilizations are often identified with their surviving architectural achievements.
In simple term "Architecture" can mean the art and science of designing and constructing buildings and other physical structures. Architecture is a very good career option.
WHAT IS ARCHITECTURE?
The construction task involves a lot of people like architects, contractors, surveyors, civil engineers, designers and carpenters, electricians, masons, plumbers etc. Architecture is the study dealing with planning and designing of building, houses, offices, schools etc. Architects design new buildings and also provide professional services for alterations and renovations of existing structures . Architects design structures keeping in mind the need of the user and lay equal emphasis on its functionality, safety and economics.
SKILLS REQUIRED FOR ARCHITECTURE
An aspirant for the field of architecture should have the following qualities
- Good creative & imagination skills.
- Flair for designing.
- Good drawing / sketching ability, though not really important but is beneficial.
- Genuine interest for ARCHITECTURE and good observation skills.
ARCHITECTURE CAREER OPTIONS
In the last few decades our country has seen massive construction activity, both at urban and rural level. This boom experienced by the industry has open floodgates of opportunities for students interested in a career in architecture, civil construction and interior design.
The construction sector has seen substantial increase in investments in the past few years. As far as architects are concerned, annual requirement projections of architects are expected to rise further. This makes architecture a very competitive field with healthy career prospects.
With a boom in the construction industry, the demand for architects has increased in all sectors. Employment opportunities for architects are available in the following sectors
- Government Sector : Some of the government organizations include Railways, P. W. D, the Archaeological Department, Ministry of Defence, , Post and Telegraphs, Public Sector Undertakings, Town and Country Planning Organization, National Institute of Urban Affairs, Housing and Urban Development Corporation, National Building Construction Corporation Ltd., City Development Authorities etc. Besides these organizations, various other institutes and agencies like State Departments, Housing Boards, Local Bodies also recruit architects.
- Private sector : Openings in the private sector exist with Architecture Firms, Builders, Consultants etc.
- Own Business Venture : Architects with some experience can even set up their own business as Consultants and Contractors.
ENTRANCE EXAMINATIONS IN ARCHITECTURE
- JEEE B.ARCH - All India Engineering / Architecture Entrance Examination
- NATA - National Aptitude Test in Architecture
- GATE ( AR ) - Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering ( Architecture )