NID 2017 - Applying under Overseas Category?
Who is eligible to apply under the overseas category (Supernumerary Candidates) ?
- Foreign citizens—applicants holding citizenship of a country other than the Republic of India are eligible to apply, provided they fulfill all the eligibility criteria mentioned below.
- Supernumerary seats under Overseas category are only available for M.Design and B.Design programmes. Thus not available for GDPD programme at NID Kurukshetra and NID Vijayawada.
- Foreign applicants fall outside the ambit of seats reserved for the OBC-NCL, SC, ST and PwD categories.
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) holding an Indian passport are not eligible to apply under the Overseas category and will have to apply as Indian nationals.
- Candidates applying in the Overseas category for M.Design / B. Design programme have to appear for DAT Prelims and DAT Mains at Ahmedabad Test Centre. DAT Prelims will be immediately followed by DAT Mains.
- Candidates can download and print their Admit Cards from www.admissions.nid.edu ( Available as per the schedule ).
- After all the stages of the admission process have been completed, the final merit list of the Overseas category will be prepared. Successful candidates will be offered admission to NID based on the merit list.
- The candidature will stand cancelled, if selected candidates do not pay their programme fees or fail to produce all of the required documents, or if they decline the offer of admission.
- The seats will not be transferred to any other category and will lapse if they remain vacant in the Overseas (supernumerary) category.
- The Foreign language of instruction at NID is English.
- In order to accept the offer of admission, overseas candidates are required to visit the relevant NID campus in person, as per the schedule.
- At this time, candidates will be required to produce the following documents along with their self attested photocopies:
(i) Self attested copy of the relevant pages of their passport.
(ii) For M.Des. candidates: Self attested copies of their grade sheets/mark sheets of all semesters equivalent to SSC (Grade X), HSC (Grade XII) and degree certificate/provisional certificate/passing certificate.
(iii) For B.Des. candidates: Self attested copies of their grade sheets/mark sheets of SSC (Grade X) and HSC (Grade XII). Candidates in the process of completing their Class 12th must submit a bonafide certificate from their school or college.
(iv) An equivalence certificate from the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi, which will need to be obtained prior to admission.
(v) The applicant will be responsible for obtaining a student visa for the entire duration of the programme at NID, before the commencement of the programme.
Number of Seats for overseas category (Supernumerary Candidates)
Of the seats available for the M.Design and B.Design programmes, 15% supernumerary seats have been created for overseas applicants. The actual number of seats available under Overseas category are as follows:
|No. of seats
|Master of Design (per specialisation)
|Bachelor of Design, NID Ahmedabad
The 2-1/2 year M.design programme is offered in the following areas of specialization at NID AHMEDABAD CAMPUS: Product Design, Furniture Design, Ceramic & Glass Design, Graphic Design, Animation Film Design, Film & Video Communication Design, Textile Design
The 2-1/2 year M.design programme is offered in the following areas of specialization at NID GANDHINAGAR CAMPUS: Transportation & Automobile Design, Toy & Game Design, Photography Design, Apparel Design, Lifestyle Accessory Design, New Media Design, Strategic Design Management
The 2-1/2 year M.design programme is offered in the following areas of specialization at NID BENGALURU CAMPUS: Information Design, Interaction Design, Design for Retail Experience, Universal Design, Digital Game Design
The four year B.Des. programme is offered in the following areas of specialization at Main Campus, Ahmedabad:
FACULTY OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGN
DISCIPLINE: Product Design, Furniture Design, Ceramic & Glass Design
FACULTY OF COMMUNICATION DESIGN
DISCIPLINE: Graphic Design, Animation Film Design, Film & Video Communication Design, Exhibition ( Spatial ) Design
FACULTY OF TEXTILE, APPAREL & LIFESTYLE ACCESSORY DESIGN
DISCIPLINE: Textile Design
Eligibility to appear for NID B.Design ENTRANCE EXAM 2017 for overseas category
Age Limit for Candidates: Upto 20 Years as on or before June 30, 2017. Candidates born on or before June 30, 1997 are not eligible.
Educational Qualification: Candidates who have passed or who will appear for Higher Secondary (10+2) qualifying examinations from any recognized board of education like CBSE / IB / ICSC or their equivalent during the academic year 2016-17
Examinations considered equivalent to the above are as follows:
• General Certificate Education (GCE) examination at the Advanced (A) level taken in London, Cambridge or Sri Lanka.
• High School Certificate Examination from Cambridge University or an International Baccalaureate diploma from the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
• Students who have completed their final examinations for class 12th (or equivalent) outside India or from a board not specified above will have to produce a certificate from the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) confirming that the examination they have passed is equivalent to the Class 12th examination conducted in India.
Eligibility to appear for NID M.Design ENTRANCE EXAM 2017 for overseas category
Upper Age Limit for Candidates: Upto 30 Years as on or before June 30, 2017. Candidates born on or before June 30, 1987 are not eligible.
Candidates must either have appeared or passed, or will be appearing in any of the following, before July 2017 :
- Bachelors Degree in any discipline under the 10+2+4 ( or more ) system from any recognized university or recognized institute in India.
- Diploma in Design under the 10+2+4 system, from any recognized university or recognized institute in India.
Candidates must either have appeared or passed in the following before July 2016 :
- Bachelors Degree in any discipline under the 10+2+3 system from any recognized university or recognized institute in India.
Note: In case the candidate has degree/certificate from a university/board of any country other than India, an equivalence certificate must be obtained by the candidate from the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi, prior to admission. Visit www.aiuweb.org
Admission on Provisional Basis:
• Students yet to appear for their final qualifying examination are eligible to apply, provided they produce proof of having acquired the minimum required qualifications at the time of admission.
• If the results of their Class 12th / final semester / final year of graduation have not been declared by the concerned board or university by the date of admission, in that case admission shall be strictly provisional, subject to the following conditions:
(i) The student should be able to submit the final result of their qualifying degree / certificate proving their eligibility on or before 31 August 2017, to the Activity Chairperson, Professional Education Programme.
(ii) Students seeking provisional admission in case they are awaiting their final results are required to provide proof of having passed all their examinations in all the previous years/semesters of their qualifying degree.
(iii) The student should also provide the qualifying exam’s date sheet/admit card/Principal’s certificate as proof of having appeared for their final qualifying exam.
(iv) Students who have appeared for compartment or supplementary examination(s) for standard 12th or have backlogs of any semester/final year of graduation whose results have not been declared by the time of admission, will be considered for admission as per (i) above.
• Any candidate who has not appeared for their final qualifying exam before the date of admission will not be eligible for admission. Provisional admission will be considered only in cases where the results of the final semester/year of their qualifying degree have not been declared by the concerned board/ university. In case the result has been declared by the concerned board/university but has not been declared in a specific case, for any reason, the candidate will not be considered for provisional admission.
Important Dates for NID 2017
NID Admission Notification
|Online Registration Process starts on
|October 26, 2016
|Last Date Of Receiving Online Applications by NID
|November 28, 2016( Till 1400 hrs )
|Last Date Of Receiving Online Applications by NID ( On payment of late fees via debit/ credit card only )
|December 02, 2016 ( Till 1400 hrs )
|Last Date for submitting printed application forms along with a demand draft ( to be sent via speed post, registered post or courier )
|December 02, 2016
|Online Availibility of Admit Cards for DAT Prelims
|December 20, 2016 ( 1600 hrs )
|Design Aptitude Test ( DAT Prelims ) for B.Des.
|January 8, 2017
|Design Aptitude Test ( DAT Prelims ) for M.Des.
|January 8, 2017
|DAT Mains Exam for Overseas Candidates ( Both M.Des. and B.Des.)
|January 9 - January 10, 2017
|Window to challenge DAT Prelims Part I answer keys ( Online only )
|January 18 - January 20, 2017
|Uploading final answer keys of DAT Prelims Part I ( M.Des., B.Des. and GDPD )
|January 27, 2017
|Results for M.Des. - DAT Prelims to be announced
|Feb 7, 2017
|Online Availibility of Admit Cards for DAT Mains for M. Design
|Feb 14, 2017
|Results for B.Design - DAT Prelims to be announced
|Feb 28, 2017
|Online Availibility of Admit Cards for DAT Mains for B. Design
|March 7, 2017
|DAT Mains for M.Des. to be held in all three NID Campuses
|March 13 - March 31, 2017
|DAT Mains for B.Des. & GDPD
|May 15 - May 20, 2017
|Results to be declared for M.Design - 1st Merit List
|May 2, 2017
|Results to be declared for B.Design and GDPD - 1st Merit List
|May 31, 2017
Application fees for Overseas Candidates:
|For M.Design - 1 Discipline
|For M.Design - 2 Discipline
List of documents to be uploaded at the time of applying online
|Category / Documents
|First Page and Last Page of Passport
Note: For latest NID updates please visit the website http://admissions.nid.edu/
Comments ( 1 )
Login to create a comment
By - Vaishali gupta