NID DAT PRELIMS AND NID DAT MAINS
Admission to all of the design courses at NID will be granted on the basis of a two-stage competitive exam.
Stage 1: Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Prelims and Stage 2: Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Mains
The aim of the above exams is to assess the knowledge, skills and behavioural abilities of candidates.
What is Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Prelims ?
- Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Prelims will be conducted at various test centres across India.
- The Design Aptitude Test (Prelims) consists of an examination for three hours duration and will be marked out of 100 points.
- This is a pen-and-paper test conducted at the same time on the same day across all test centres.
- The question paper is in English.
- All questions are compulsory.
- There is no negative marking.
- Based on the DAT Prelims scores, separate merit lists shall be prepared for each category
OPEN, OBC-NCL, SC, ST & PwD). Shortlisted candidates only will be eligible to appear for the DAT Mains exam.
More to Explore...
DAT (Prelims) Important Dates:
For Master of Design (M.Des.), Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) and Graduate Diploma Programme in Design (GDPD):
1000 hrs. to 1300 hrs. on Sunday, 08 January 2017.
DAT ( Prelims ) Test Centres:
Candidates applying under the Overseas category (supernumerary) for M.Des. and B.Des. programmes will be required to appear for their DAT Prelims in person, which will be followed by the DAT Mains, at NID Ahmedabad.
Design Aptitude Test (Prelims): Evaluation Criteria
The candidate are evaluated on the following abilities:
More to Explore...
DAT ( Prelims ) : Paper Style
DAT Prelims is further divided into two parts:
|Part I||Part II|
|Multiple-choice questions marked out of 70 points. This part has questions with one or more than one correct answer. The responses of this part will be recorded on an
OMR sheet and evaluated digitally.
|Subjective questions marked out of 30 points, with responses to be provided in
visual and/or written formats.
What is Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Mains ?
- Candidates shortlisted after the DAT Prelims will be invited to appear for the Stage 2 DAT Main exams at one of NID’s campuses in Ahmedabad, Bengaluru or Gandhinagar.
- The Admit Card for shortlisted candidates will be available for download only on the official NID admissions website (www.admissions.nid.edu).
- NID will not provide accommodation for applicants appearing for the DAT Mains; therefore, the candidates must arrange accommodation at their cost.
DAT Mains for M.Des.:
The DAT Mains for this programme consists of two parts:
• Studio Test: This may consist of tests in different formats such as drawing/sketching, hands-on model making, group discussions etc. This test will be marked out of 100 points and will be conducted in English.
• Interviews:The interviews will be conducted separately for each discipline, immediately after the Studio Test,at the same centre.
Test Centres for DAT Mains for candidates of M.Des. are as follows:
|Test Centre: Ahmedabad||Test Centre: Bengaluru||Test Centre: Gandhinagar|
|Animation Film Design||Design for Retail Experience||Apparel Design|
|Ceramic & Glass Design||Digital Game Design||Lifestyle Accessory Design|
|Film & Video Communication||Information Design||New Media Design|
|Furniture Design||Interaction Design||Photography Design|
|Graphic Design||Universal Design||Strategic Design
|Product Design||Toy & Game Design|
|Textile Design||Transportation & Automobile
DAT Mains for B.Des.and GDPD:
The DAT Mains for these programmes may consist of tests in different formats such as drawing/sketching, hands-on model making, group discussions, presentations etc. These will be marked out of 100 points and will be conducted in English. The test centre will be NID Ahmedabad.
Note: For latest NID updates please visit the website http://admissions.nid.edu/